Do you know these about Istanbul?
- In 1502, Istanbul was the most crowded city in the world and stayed like this until 1840 (when London took over the title).
- Istanbul was the capital city of the Roman Empire, Byzantine Empire and the Ottoman Empire. However, when Republic of Turkey was formed in 1923, Ataturk moved the capital city to Ankara to save it from foreign attacks.
- Kapalicarsi or Grand Bazaar or the Covered Bazaar is the first shopping center in the world. It is still the largest historical covered bazaar with more than 4,000 shops.
- Ottoman Empire used toilets and washing facilities long before any other nation. When even palaces in Europe did not have one single toilet, Ottoman Empire had more than 1,000 public toilets.
- The diggings for Marmaray Tunnel revealed many Neolithic artifacts, which is why the completion date for the tunnel was delayed. As the artifacts are dating back to the 7th century BC, when the Bosphorus did not even start to flow.
- The final stop of the famous Orient Express was Sirkeci Train Station between the years 1883 and 1977. It is known that Agatha Cristie wrote her novel Murder on the Orient Express during her trip on Orient Express and her stay at the Pera Palas Hotel in 1920s.
- Istanbul was a major destination for the Art Nouveau movement between the 19th and the 20th century. Istiklal street and the surrounding area has many Art Nouveau style buildings from this period.
- The statue of four horses that are currently being displayed at the San Marco’s Cathedral in Venice were stolen from the Hippodrome in 13th century during the 4th crusade.
- The majority of the famous buildings are designed by the architect Mimar Sinan who was the teacher of the architect that designed Taj Mahal in India.
Golden Horn or Halic Istanbul
Topkapi Palace Istanbul
Luxury Hotels Of Istanbul
Pera Museum Istanbul
Istanbul Property For Sale
Turkish Food Recipes
Rice with Vegetables - Rice & Pasta Dishes
Asure - Wheat Pudding - Other Desserts
Gardener’s Kebab - Red Meat Courses
Tavuk Gogsu Puding with Kadayif - Dairy Desserts
Vermicelli Soup with Egg Sauce (Terbiyeli) - Soup
Pilaf with Chickpeas - Rice & Pasta Dishes