Fethiye Mosque and Museum Monastery of Theotokos Pammakaristos
The Design of Monastery of Theotokos PammakaristosThis 12th century Church of the Joyous Mother of God built by Emperor John Comnenos and his wife Anna Doukaina is an excellent example of Byzantine brick and stone work. As it stands on open ground it is easy to see the external brickwork and its multiple apses, and the chapel on the south-side was added in the 13th century by a nobleman, Michael Glabas Ducas Tarchaniotes.
Converting to Fethiye MosqueThe collection of mosaics here are second only to those in the Chora Church. From 1456 to 1568 the church served as the seat of the patriarchate, and in 1573 was converted into a mosque. The named then changed to Fethiye Camii ( Mosque of Conquest ) to commemorate Sultan Murad III’s triumphs in Georgia and Azerbaijan.
Fethiye Mosque and Museum TodayThe church structure has been divided into two parts; one continues to serve as a mosque and the other is now a museum.
Selimiye Mosque Istanbul
Cicek Pasage or Flower Arcade Istanbul
Historical Bosphorus Mansions
Maiden's Tower or Kizkulesi
Istanbul Property For Sale
Turkish Food Recipes
Vizier’s Fingers - Other Desserts
Puff Borek with Chicken - Meat Mezes
Tomato Soup with Vermicelli - Soup
Keskul or Almond Cream - Dairy Desserts
Rice with Anchovies - Rice & Pasta Dishes
Saksuka - Fried Aubergine with Yogurt and Tomato Sauce - Vegetable Mezes