Marmaris Info

marmaris Guide

D Resort Grand Azur Marmaris

5 Star Hotel

Back Street Garden Bar

Night Club's

Club Amazon Hisarönü

Boutique Hotel

Malibu Beach Bar

Bars - Pubs

Old Trafford Bar

Bars - Pubs

Burgaz and Knidos in Datca

Burgaz and Knidos in Datca
The ruins are located 2km northeast from the centre of the Datca region, and were discovered by Bean and Cook who believed it to be the “Ancient City of Knidos”, and excavations here have been carried out since 1993 by Asst. Prof. Dr. Numan Tuna.

Burgaz and Knidos Ruins

The ruins cover an area of around 1400m x 400m along the coastline and important finds here date back to the pre-Hellenistic period. The city was surrounded by walls and in the southwest area had a tower and sea walls whose ruins can be seen in the shallow water.
There are ruins of two harbours dating from the 4th century BC which can also be seen along the shoreline. It is believed from the excavation works here, a settlement in Burgaz has existed since the geometric period and was partially abandoned in the 4th century although it remained in use for storage, harbour loading, was dependent on its agriculture, and the necropolis continued to be used in the inner parts.


This ancient city is at the end of the Datca Peninsula where the Aegean and Mediterranean Seas meet and was among the most important of Western Anatolian coastlines located on the Tekir Cape.

Getting to Knidos

Knidos is on the borders of the Yazı Village and can be reached using the highway from Datca for 35km and another 8km on a dirt road or via the sea using excursion boats or yachts during the summer season.

History of Knidos

In 360 BC when Knidos was taken by the Persians the local people fled and established a new city on the Hippadomos plane at the farthest point of the peninsula. The Apollo Temple, which was the sacred deity of Rhodes, was erected and the famous historian Strabo wrote that the place had an appearance of “a double city with both land and island settlements”.
Knidos was one of the most important cities of the Rhodes Union which exported wine thus improving its trade, and had surrounding city walls reinforced with round and cornered towers. There are also two harbours, one for military, one commercial and other significant buildings include churches, a Dor Temple, Propylon, Apollo Temple and altar, Round Temple and altar, an assembly building, a Korinth Temple, a Sun Clock, a Dor stoa, a theatre, a Dionysus Temple and stoa, slope houses, an odeon, a Demetre Holy Area, a necropolis, and the Kap Krio Peninsula.


The first excavation work began in 1856 until 1857 by Sir Charles T. Newton and Prof. Dr. Iris Cornelia Love from 1967 to 1997, and also works carried out by Prof. Dr. Ramazan Ozgan since 1987 and which continue today. From findings here it is known a settlement goes back to the 13th and 14th centuries BC and has remains still in good condition dating back to 5th, 6th and 7th centuries. There was a medical school showing itself in the scientific field, and was also developed in terms of economic, cultural and artistic fields. As with other Anatolian coastal cities, Knidos was invaded by Arabs in the 7th century AD and was abandoned, and later destroyed by an earthquake.

Marmaris Photos

Turgut Waterfall Marmaris

Uzunyali Beach Marmaris

Nightlife in Marmaris

Sedir Island Cleopatra Beach

Dislice Island Marmaris

Turunc Marmaris

Marmaris Property For Sale


296m2 X 3 Land for


4 Bedroom Luxury Villa in


4 Bedroom Luxury Villa in


2 Bedroom Apartment in Armutalan

Turkish Food Recipes

Tantuni - Red Meat Courses

Main Course

Halloumi Cheese - Hot Meze

Dugun or Wedding Soup - Soup

Stuffed Mussels - Seafood Mezes

Cold Meze

Oven Cooked Mucver - Vegetable Courses

Main Course

Pogaca with Feta Cheese Filling - Pastries

Tea Time Pastry

x Message Sent