Marmaris Fort and Archaeology Museum
Marmaris Harbour in HistoryMarmaris Harbour remained an important trade route to Rhodes and Egypt through many ages.
Construction of Marmaris FortEvliya Çelebi, the 17th century travel writer who visited Mugla , made the only written reference about the construction of the fort and its surrounding area stating that Kanuni Sultan Suleyman ( Suleyman the Magnificent ) ordered the repair of the fort before his Rhodes campaign and that he used it as a base during that time, also that the fort was constructed mostly of rock, with four emplacements, having 122m high walls made of smooth stone, rooms for each warden, imam, mosque caretaker and guardians with an inscription over the entrance door.
Although other famous history writers such as Celaloğlu Mustafa wrote of the Marmaris days of Suleyman and his army, the Rhodes campaign and his return to Istanbul, making no reference to the fort and in the “Navy Book” by Piri Reis, he wrote about Marmaris Harbour in great detail and of other forts in the Mediterranean but there is no mention of Marmaris Fort. Therefore, and from this information, it is believed the fort was built by Süleyman, whose reign began in 1520, on his return from the Rhodes campaign.
Hafiza CaravanseraiThe Hafıza Caravansary is located at the entrance of a narrow street with steps leading into the fort and has a rectangular shape with seven small rooms and one large that are covered in arches. The fort was inhabited by local people from the beginning of pre-Republic times until recently and inside there are 18 dwellings, a fountain and cistern. There is an inscription above the door entrance stating it was constructed in 1545 which supports the belief the fort and the caravansary were built after the Rhodes campaign. A significant part of the fort was destroyed in 1914 during the First World War when the French fired cannon balls from a destroyer into it.
Marmaris Archaeology MuseumThe historical fort is located at the highest point at the back of the Yacht Harbour and underwent restoration from 1980 to 1990 and the museum housed inside opened in 1991.
The museum has seven enclosed areas, a cradle vaulted entrance that opens into an inner garden and the steps to the right and left of the courtyard access the city walls.
Two of the enclosed areas are the Archaeology Halls where you will find stone opuses taken from the region, amphora dating from Hellenistic, Roman and Byzantine times, candles, bottles, figurines made of baked soil, various pots and glass opuses, ends of arrows, coins and ornaments that were taken from excavations at Knidos, Burgaz, and Hisarönü. The Ethnography Hall displays weavings, carpets, kilims, furniture, copper kitchen tools, guns and ornamental pieces. Other areas in the museum are used as an art gallery, office and warehouse. The museum opens every day except Monday between the hours of 08:30-12:00 and 13:00-17.30.
Ekincik Cove Marmaris
Inbuku Camping Area Marmaris
Sedir Island Cleopatra Beach
Marmaris Property For Sale
Turkish Food Recipes
Rice with Anchovies - Rice & Pasta Dishes
Lamb Shank Kebab with Vegetables - Red Meat Courses
Turkish Ricotta Fritters - Other Desserts
Pilaf Rice with Lamb & Aubergine - Red Meat Courses
Semolina Halva or Irmik Helvasi - Other Desserts
Lamb and Okra Stew - Red Meat Courses